David McKnight
Mr. Barnes
Honors English 3
31 January 2013
The
Meaning of Life?
What is the point of life?... The question has been asked
an uncountable number of times, being posed by figures in jobs ranging from prophet
to musician, by people as different as Epicurus and Douglas Adams. As Eric Idle
sang, “Why are we here? What's life all about?”. No-one has come up with an
answer that pleases everyone; many answers only pertain to some people. Ultimately,
the only consistency between these answers is that they don’t satisfy everyone.
I am one of the unsatisfied. Throughout my life, I have been trying to find
some way to leave a mark, to make reality acknowledge my existence forever.
Art class, kindergarten. Age: 6. Place: Mason Ridge
Elementary. Our teacher asks us to draw a turkey for Thanksgiving. “Let’s
begin, everyone.” Mrs. V, so called because most of us can’t remember the name
Vansteinhouse, declares. Excitedly, I pull out my Midnight Black and Cardinal
Red Crayola markers and set their round nubs to a piece of brown construction
paper. Yes, I think to myself, after
about 50 minutes of drawing a bird-like thing. This turned out really well. My belief in the picturesqueness of my
work is vindicated when Mrs. V asks me if I want my turkey in the art show. I
begin to imagine my turkey next to other great works of art, like Captain
Underpants; myself beside Dav Pilkey, the Kindergartener’s Monet.
Within a month, nobody but my immediate family would
remember that turkey.
Talent show, 2nd grade. Age: 8. Place: Some Center.
I stand on stage wearing a chef’s toque and apron, valiantly wielding a rubber
chicken. “The turkey shot out of the oven…” I begin, stating the first few
lines of a Shel Silverstein poem as I hurl the bird into the audience. I
continue with my lines, enjoying the attentions of the many people in the
audience, and as I finish discussing the narrator’s misadventures of using
unpopped popcorn as stuffing, the audience bursts into applause. Yes. I think to myself, walking off of
the stage. This turned out really well.
This turkey performance hits the spot more so than the
drawing, as five years down the line, in seventh grade, I still would receive
complements concerning it, but ultimately, it, too, would fade into obscurity.
Spelling bee, 6th grade. Age: 12. Place:
Parkway West Middle School’s Library. “Abacus. A-B-A-C-U-S. Abacus.” I sit down
with disbelief as I succeed in spelling the word that nets me the title of
School Spelling bee champion. Yes. I
think to myself, as I stand back up to get the slip of paper that declares my
triumph. I imagine how impressed my teachers will be, and how people will
finally trust me when I correct their orthographical errors. This went really well.
Unfortunately, although my teachers would be excited,
none of my classmates would really care all that much about it, and ultimately
no one would remember or give a darn about my success.
Winter break, 11th grade. Age: 17. Place: My
bedroom. I’m lying down, reflecting on my life, trying to find some
significance in what I’ve done. I’ve garnered a laundry list of accomplishments
by this point in my life, but to what end? In this age of global communication,
any work I do will have to compete with about 7 billion other people’s. And that’s excluding anybody with a lasting
legacy who’s ever died. So what hope do I have? I turn over, and stare at
my wall. Everything I do is likely to be
forgotten. I roll over in my bed and stare at the ceiling. Even assuming I do strike it big, I
think to myself, when the sun goes nova,
assuming we haven’t left the Earth, humanity will be wiped out anyway. A
depressing thought. So what exactly is
the purpose of life? I pick up my Nintendo 3DS and trigger it on. Ah. I think to myself, as the screen
flares to life. But so what if I don’t
leave a mark? Life is to be lived, after all. When I’m dead and gone, will I
really care that I managed to change the world? I’ve had a ball on this climb
to get to here. I smile, finally satisfied with an answer. Yes.
So what if I can't figure out a purpose to life? That
doesn't mean I can't enjoy it.
I like how your thesis is very clear and it is easily recognizable. I think you may have gone overboard with the italics. I like how it is used to differentiate your contemplative thoughts from your essay, but be careful that it not lose its emphasis if overused.
ReplyDeleteI see that you have implemented many of your personal life experiences into this essay, but maybe you should implement these into your last paragraph too. Did these experiences teach you something more specific than to simply enjoy life?
ReplyDeleteThe way you formatted your essay (like a diary almost) is it too informal? It kinda breaks your voice. Maybe find a way to use your own voice to formally narrate the position of these in your life. I feel like that would do a better job of not breaking the sophisticated voice you have with your precise intellectual word choice.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Anthony about your thesis. I think you can go into more detail because it sounds like "no one will remember or care but enjoy it" which sounds really negative. Find a different way to phrase it. I loved the place, age, and the italics of yes that went well. It pulled everything together. I found your introduction very general, you can find a more unique and personal way to start your introduction. Also in your introduction maybe hint a little bit at your thesis. I was visually able to see everything you painted though. Be careful at the end with the italics, it was overdone and pulls away from the other italics used through out the story.
ReplyDelete